Types of Integration Testing in Software Testing
Once functional testing is over we are going to perform Integration Testing.
Checking the data flow between the modules or interfaces is known as Integration testing.
In Integration testing we check if the data created in one module is reflected or transferred or shown in other respective modules.
If we take gmail application we can write the following scenarios for Integration testing:
1. If we login to the gmail with our login credentials the username should be displayed on the home page. Here the data ie., username is carried from login page to the home page.
2. If we create a mail in compose and click on send, the mail should be present in the Sent items.
3. If we create and mail and close the mail, the mail should be saved as draft and should be present in the drafts.
These are some of the examples of integration testing scenarios on gmail application.
Types of Integration testing:
There are two types of integration testing:
1. Incremental Integration Testing
2. Non Incremental Integration Testing
1. Incremental Integration testing:
Whenever there is clear relationship between modules then we go for Incremental Integration Testing.
Incremental Integration testing is of two types:
a) Top down Incremental Integration Testing
b) Bottom up Incremental Integration Testing
a) Top down Incremental Integration Testing:
In this type of testing we are going to add the modules one by one from top to bottom and check the data flow in the same order.
b) Bottom up Incremental Integration Testing:
In this type of testing we are going to add the modules one by one from bottom to up and check the data flow in the same order.
2. Non Incremental Integration Testing:
We go for this testing whenever we don’t have clear relationship between the modules. This type of testing is also known as Big Bang method.In these cases we create the data in one module and bang on all other modules and check for the data flow. Hence it is known as Big Bang Method.
Note: Sandwich Testing is the combination of incremental and non incremental testing.
Let us see about System testing in the next post..